Thermotherapy is the application of hot and/or cold temperature to restore balance to the mind and body.
Apart from the pampering aspect of the treatment, Stone Therapy massage has many physiological and emotional benefits. The powers of touch with the stones are huge and should not be underestimated as a luxury.
Stone therapy application of hot or cool temperatures stimulates the body’s own natural functions, especially the circulatory and lymphatic systems, along with the nervous system. The nerve endings in the skin pick up the changes in temperature and conduct it along the nerve fibres to the spinal cord and to the related organs and the brain. Generally the skin over a main organ is where its relative reflex point is – so any stimulation of the skin over an organ improves its function. When all these systems are working normally, all the body’s organs and tissue and cell functions improve, promoting optimum health and giving more energy.
Benefits to the client
- Boosts circulation – increased blood flow serves to bring more oxygen and nutrients to the area whilst speeding up the removal of carbon dioxide
- Speeds up cellular metabolism – increased in the area by 10–15% due to the local rise in body temperature of between 1–2°C
- Increases immune function – increased lymphatic circulation speeds up the body’s own natural elimination process, boosting energy levels and ensuring full removal of waste
- Improves muscle and skin tone – positive circulation of blood and lymph serve to nourish and stimulate the skin’s reproduction of healthy cells and the muscle fibres, leaving them healthy and toned
- Improves joint flexibility – increased circulation and lymph flow aids flexibility in supporting joint muscle by relaxing the connective tissue, as well as removing excess waste that can oen lead to aches, pains and joint stiffness
- Alleviates deep muscle aches and pains – the hot stones heat the muscles and additional movement of the stones provides deeper penetration into the muscle structure than traditional massage; often the massage is able to reduce muscle spasms and chronic muscle tension and stiffness, especially sports-related tension
- Deeply relaxes the nervous system – positive circulation and lymph flow, especially to the spinal nerves and muscles, help to stimulate a poor nervous system inducing feelings of wellbeing, positivity and vitality
- Calms the mind – as all of the body’s natural process are boosted the body feels less challenged, allowing the mind to be quiet and relaxed; at the same time the application of different temperatures unlocks deep emotional tension
- The treatment aims to gain complete homeostasis – a perfect peak of balance for the body.
Contraindications to treatment
- Skin or scalp infections, ulcers, open cuts and abrasions, bruises
- Recent injury, operations, recent scar tissue or haemorrhage
- Any infectious conditions because of the risk of cross- infection
- Severe circulatory disorders and heart conditions – GP medical clearance should always be sought before treatment. Increased circulation may overburden the heart and can increase the risk of a thrombus.
- Varicose veins – clients may be more prone to thrombosis, so clearance from the GP will be necessary.
- Diabetics and epileptics – GP approval should be gained
- Cancer. There is a risk of spreading certain types of cancer through the lymphatic system. Once medical clearance has been given, treatments can help relax and support the immune system.
- Clients undergoing treatments that require chemo- or radiotherapies
- Pregnancy or clients who are breastfeeding
- Medication taken which would make the client sensitive to heat, or which thin the skin – Roactane or steroids either applied topically or taken orally
- High or low blood pressure or clients who are very heat- sensitive
- Severe circulatory disorders and heart conditions. Increased circulation may overburden the heart and can increase the risk of a thrombus.
- Acute inflammation in an area or over joints
- Loss of sensation and failure to distinguish hot and cold thermal testing
- The very elderly or the very young
- Clinical obesity
Contra-actions are reactions caused by a treatment. These symptoms are part of the healing process, sometimes called a “healing crisis”. The symptoms will pass.
If these contra-actions do not improve within 24 hours get in touch with your GP for advice.
Below is a list of contra-actions that could occur during or after Stone Therapy Massage treatment:
- Hyperaemia left by the heated stones (excess of blood in vessels)
This is created by the internal response from the heated stones, where there is a rapid increase of blood flow to the area. The heat aids the blood into the tissue to relax and soften tight, congested structures. These areas should return to normal skin tones within the time of the treatment or shortly after. If an area remains red, this is an indication that this area is very congested and needs some extra work.
- Erythema (Redness of the skin)
- Allergic reaction
- Light headedness
- Extreme tiredness
- Heightened emotions
- Feelings of alertness
- Aching and soreness to muscles
- Bloated stomach
- Detached from reality
- Excessive Urination
- Aggravated skin condition
- Disturbed sleep or more dreams
- Burping and flatulence
- Aching old injuries
After the Massage
Please drink a lot of water after the session to help your body remove toxins released from your tissues during the massage.
67.80 USD per hour (90-120 minutes recommended), includes 13% taxes (IVA).